Outlook name cache not updating
i think once the repair to the store is done, you should be able to have outlook cached mode working again.
give that a try if you're still seeing this problem.
My nightly back-up had completed with exceptions, two of the exceptions were corrupted messages in each users mailbox.
They've stopped receiving new mail in the inbox on the laptop, however their Black Berrys are still receiving mail normally.
When I disable outlook's cached mode and restart outlook their inbox populates normally with all emails.
If I turn cached mode back on and restart outlook it goes back to the same point in time when the emails originally stopped arriving.
All emails after that point are no longer in the inbox. I checked the files and they are both different sizes and less than 1GB.